Sunday, December 8, 2013

Quilting Design For Quilt

This is how I come up with quilting designs for my quilts.   I love drawing on paper better then drawing on the computer,  a little more relaxing for me.
First I drew out the four blocks that are in the corner of my quilt....
BY THE WAY THE TABS AT THE TOP DON'T WORK,  THEY ARE STATIONARY, CAN'T POST IN EACH SECTION 

I start with a pencil design----   I'm using a oval because that is what is in the center of the quilt and I like to bring the center motif out in other parts of the quilt.
 
 
When I like the drawing I mark over the pencil marks with a black archival ink pen (waterproof)  Then Staedtler Mars plastic eraser made for film or velum.

added a few more feathers
OK,  I like it!


                                                             Now for mirrored images

                                                       That would be great for a border

This is what I was looking for.....


                        Like this one two....    all these will be digitized for patterns to sale.

Next I folded my paper in half  keeping with the grid line and traced the pattern

Now all I have to do is put the design  under quilt in each corner and mark it with blue wash out pen

Just need to load the quilt  AGAIN  AND GET  ER FINISHED  lololol

Oh yes that will be part of  my border design
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I so enjoy learning how others create, thanks for the tips and info. This is a beautiful design. Do you have a light under your quilt to help with the marking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rebecca. I like to see how others go through the design process. When I first started longarming I thought when someone said they free handed a design, that they just quilted, didn't understand they marked the quilt first. Anyway I like when quilters share how they come up a design and how they get that design on their quilt. I drew out a similar design but went about it a different way, you know the harder way. Do you draw it to scale or do you adjust when you trace it on the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This design I drew to scale. When you look at the first photo there is a small drawing that I had doodled last year that I like and I knew it would work with the center motif. I drew the four 8" blocks that are in the corner of the quilt, marked where I wanted to place the oval for balance. I like to try and bring the center motf out in the outer part of the quilt somewhere. I like to leave alot of solid area for that extra fill to make the quilt interesting...... Like yours!!!! I love that look......

    If I see a design in my head I will draw it out in mt sketch book and make a reference where I could use it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't even begin to draw it more or less quilt it. It's just lovely.

    ReplyDelete